Saturday, June 9, 2012

Hand-building with almost leather-hard clay

Learnt something new today and I was at the studio for a good 6 hours. This is not so much a new technique but I guess a different way of making work. Cutting almost leather hard pre-rolled clay into pieces randomly and stacking or gluing them together with slip to form a sculptural like shape.

I have a thing against sharp edges and pointy things. With the use of the circular plastic top of a paint can which you can see in the below pictures, I cut circles and irregular small pieces along the way. I guess that's what creation is all about. There is no pre-planning. Just what feel right at the moment.

This is what I quickly put together.


Below is my friend's work with a circle from me.  Told you, they all did pointy things.

4 comments: