Sunday, December 16, 2012

Letting Clay Fall

This weekend, I was doing this free cutting-form on wheel.  The steps are easy.  First throw a very thick wall cylinder, slice the outer wall randomly with any tools that are slightly sharp, and then stretch it outward to soften the hardness but without smudging the marks/patterns.

The biggest challenge for me is the stretching part. Pushing outward with a single hand is very difficult to keep it steady.  I was taught a trick which is to hold my left thumb with my right hand while pushing outward and upward.  It helps quite a bit.

Here is a video featuring Lisa Hammond. In this video, you will see her throwing a pot and cutting it. This is sort of what I did today. I kind of like it.

Oh, do go over to Mud Colony to check out my potter friends.











No comments:

Post a Comment